The Aegis school workshop offers students an experience that extends beyond their usual classroom education in a way that enhances their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development (SMSC). The workshop is tailored to touch upon each of these four crucial aspects of a child’s education, as they are defined by Ofsted, and offers schools a tangible way to demonstrate their commitment to SMSC development.
• Encourages pupils to employ their imagination during the session.
• Asks pupils to reflect on their own experiences.
• Strengthens pupils’ ability to recognise the difference between right and wrong in relation to name-calling, stereotyping and discrimination, and encourages them to readily apply this understanding in their own lives.
• Encourages pupils to understand the consequences of their behaviour and actions in relation to how they talk about and treat other groups.
• Reinforces the importance of working and socialising with pupils from different religious, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
• Encourages pupils to have a willingness to participate in a variety of communities and social settings.
• Promotes mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
• Promotes pupils’ interest in exploring, improving understanding of and showing respect for different faiths and cultural diversity.
• Seeks to cultivate understanding, acceptance, respect and celebration of diversity in the local, national and global communities.